Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Meet the Teachers

Name: Leann
Position: Teacher (Adult ESOL)

Tell us about your travel experience  Have you visited El Salvador before?
I have traveled quite a bit.  I studied abroad in France in college and spent two one-year stays in Russia.  I spent a summer in Alexandria, Egypt and a month in Jordan.  I've traveled in Europe as well but I have never been to Central America.
What are you most looking forward to about this trip?
I am really looking forward to seeing the country that so many of my students come from.  I'm so curious about everything, the history, culture, everyday life, food, music.  I want to see it all and my students always wistfully tell me how beautiful the beaches are.
What are you nervous about?
The heat!  :-)  I'm worried about not knowing the language.
What do you hope to gain from this experience?
I also hope it will help me relate to our students and school community.  I want to know more about the issues and challenges that impact my students' lives. Our trip includes many learning opportunities to talk about various topics such as women's issues, remittances, gang violence.  I also hope to get more insights on the issue of unaccompanied children leaving Central America right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment